At the end of last month Randy and I got to enjoy and watch spud harvesting take place once again. We have done this every fall since we have been married. I have only seen his uncle Bart and his small farm but this year I got the opportunity to see a bigger process with a bigger spud harvest company. We got to ride with Randy's Grandpa Chambers. He drives spud truck for this company every year. Below is a picture of grandpa driving the truck.
The company he drives for is owned by two brothers by the name of Matsurra. One of the brothers lives in grandpa's ward and he does it to help them out. We rode and watched for about two hours and I must say it was the biggest spud harvest operation I have seen. They had a total of 14 trucks driving and were filling three cellars in the process and that was after they had already filled other cellars. It was really hot and dusty but so much fun. Idaho is famous for their potatoes and Blackfoot is known as the potato capital of the world. They even have a Spud Expo museum. I love living in Idaho especially around harvest time because call me weird but I love the smell of potato dirt and the inside of a potato cellar. Below are some of the pictures we took while on our ride.
Inside one of the potato cellars
Name of the farm operation we watched
Combine filling potato truck with potatoes
Just three of the 14 trucks


No comments:
Post a Comment